The NCI SEER Program is collaborating with NAACCR to develop a set of geographic areas for cancer reporting. During this webinar, we will describe the project and invite all U.S. registries to participate.
We will describe the process that we are using to define new cancer reporting zones that:
• are meaningful to stakeholders in terms of cancer reporting and cancer control planning;
• comprise adjacent census tracts and smaller counties (or portions of counties) that sum to population sizes that are sufficiently large to support stable rates;
• collectively cover the entire population of the state;
• are homogeneous with respect to important socio-demographic characteristics and are compact in shape; and
• have large enough case counts for data reporting, without compromising confidentiality; and
• result in a relatively small proportion of areas with suppressed values.
We will conclude the webinar by describing the process for developing a set of cancer reporting zones for individual registries, share a general timeline, and explain how registries can participate.